Understanding actuator/motor at a joint

Discussion in 'Simulation' started by mellow54, Mar 5, 2019.

1. I have a question about how to understand the motor/actuator element with a joint.
    In particular, I am looking at the hopper environment (xml file here).
    The relevant part of the xml file is below:

<actuator>
    <motor ctrllimited="true" ctrlrange="-1.0 1.0" gear="200.0" joint="thigh_joint"/>
    <motor ctrllimited="true" ctrlrange="-1.0 1.0" gear="200.0" joint="leg_joint"/>
    <motor ctrllimited="true" ctrlrange="-1.0 1.0" gear="200.0" joint="foot_joint"/>
    </actuator>

1) If you look at the below image there are only two joints? But the xml file displays three?
    2) There are 3 degrees of freedom - one for each joint. Does the motor control the amount of force applied to the joint or the direction that the force is applied?

hopper_image.png

2. 1) the model has 6 joints 3 hinge joints for the position of the hopper and one for each thigh-, knee-, and foot-joint.
    2) the motor applies a torque at each joint. The sign of the torque determines the direction in which the torque is applied. I have never used the gear mechanism but I guess it just multiplies your inputs with the ratio. Your inputs are limited between -1 and 1. So the motor can apply torques in the range of -200 and 200.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019