Simulation running very slowly

Discussion in 'Simulation' started by rachana_s, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Hi,

1. I'm trying to roll a ball down a plane inclined at 10 degrees. In the simulation, the plane and the ball are imported meshes. I have put the mass of the ball as 84000kg. In the simulation, the ball rolls down the plane at a slow pace compared with the real-world. I have increased the timestep to a maximu of 0.01 but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I have also varied o_solimp and o_solref and observed that o_solimp = "0.9 9.95 0.01" produced the best result but that is still slow.
    -> Could you please help me understand why ball moves slowly and what I can do to change it?
    2. On a related note, I've observed that when the ball slides down the inclined plane, the number of contacts is '0' most of the time. I have put collision = 'dynamic' in options element.
    -> Why is the number of contacts zero even though the ball is in contact with the plane?

Thanks for your help.

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

This is a very large mass... are you sure a real ball with that mass would roll faster?

Is there a reason you are importing the ball as a mesh instead of using a sphere geom? The mesh may not be in contact with the plane all the time, causing 0 contacts; this could happen if there is a small flight phase in-between contacts along the edges of the mesh.

If you upload your model I can take a look.

3. Thank you for your reply. Yes, the mass was too high. I was actually scaling the mass by 100x as I had scaled the dimensions by 100x. But reducing the mass and the dimensions of the sphere proportionately did increase the speed comparable to with the real-world case.
    I also used the sphere geom instead and it did solve the problem of 0 contacts.
    Thanks again for your help!