MuJoCo Pro, mujoco-py or something else?

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by yangs, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Hi,

Question: I saw MuJoCo Pro (C/C++ API) and mujoco-py under OpenAI here: https://github.com/openai/mujoco-py
    I wonder which one you would recommend me to use for my project.

My goal: to simulate the human-robot interaction and test complex control algorithms when the human is wearing an upper limb exoskeleton, eventually the control code needs implementation on real hardware (basic control code already implemented in C++). A feature I want is to export real-time contact forces at the human-robot interface.

My immature concerns: if I use MuJoCo Pro, it might be easier to transplant my control code to my hardware; if I use mujoco-py, it might be easier to implement algorithms like neural networks.

Or is there any other option you would recommend?

Thanks.

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

mujoco-py is just a python wrapper around mujoco pro. you will need to write C/C++ code eventually for your project. but maybe you can start with mujoco-py, train neural networks or whatever controller you are trying to design, and later write code that hooks your controller directly to mujoco pro, bypassing the python layer.

3. Thank you Dr. Todorov.

4. I already applied for one student license using my school domain email address for my Linux laptop butActually I found several issues about using mujoco-py with Python3 on Linux 16.04 (raised by others on github).
    I wonder if I could get another student license on my Windows PC to start writing my code.
    I submitted a request using my department domain email address but no reply yet.
    Please instruct, thanks.

5. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

Student licenses are limited to one per user, so you will not get another account. Send me an email to todorov@roboti.us with your existing account number, and given your technical issues, I will increase your activation limit so you can register the Windows machine.

Kyokushin likes this.
  6. Thanks!