Modelling Human Muscles

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by Akhil S anand, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Hi,

I want to model complete human lower limb with a an exoskeleton in MuJoCo. Is there any default muscle model available in MuJoCo ?

If not, it will be very helpful if anyone could suggest an effective way to model the muscles.

I am also interested know if there is any way to import the models from OpenSim to MuJoCo

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Akhil

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

Currently there is no default muscle model, but it will be added eventually.

Importing from OpenSim is complicated because the OpenSim format is not very well documented, and also OpenSim uses some tendon modeling conventions that are not in one-to-one correspondence with the MuJoCo convention. So you would have to write some script to do the conversion, and then clean up manually.

It would be great if someone contributed an OpenSim-to-MuJoCo converter. Unfortunately I do not have the time to develop one.

3. Akhil,

I'm in the process of writing a python library for a motor-unit based muscle model (including fatigue) based on Potvin and Fuglevand 2017. (https://github.com/iandanforth/pymuscle) I'd love to get your feedback on the library and what you're trying to do. I'm also going to be working on a demo of a MuJoCo integration. If you'd like to collaborate on that just let me know.

Ian