modeling a closed environment

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by joemathai, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Hi,

I want to model a closed box in mujoco for an experiment simulation. But when a large random force is applied to an object within the box the object seems to be going through the walls of the box. Is there a way to prevent this from happening without limiting the force ? Also is there a way to make the walls of the box transparent ?

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

You should use 6 planes to models the sides of the box. Make sure they are positioned and oriented appropriately, i.e. the normals should point to the center of the box (the attribute 'zaxis' specifies the normal). You can specify the RGBA of the planes and make them see-through. Although you don't really need to to that because planes are automatically rendered as see-through from the back.

3. I have oriented the walls using the zaxis, but still a large force on an object seems to throw the object through a wall. Is this possible ?

4. Emo Todorov

Are you using planes or boxes to create walls? With planes it is not possible to go through. The soft contacts can penetrate, but the plane will keep pushing back. With boxes, it is possible to go through and escape.

5. Yes I was using box to create the walls. But when I tried switching to planes the objects seems to be falling through it. Is there some other parameters I need to fix to prevent this from happening(I have already aligned the planes) ?

6. Emo Todorov

Unless the contacts are very very soft, there is no way for objects to fall through planes. Are you sure the plane normals point in the right direction? Also, make sure all contacts are being registered - if the maximum number of contacts is set too small, the simulator will ignore any contacts beyond that.

7. Thanks, turned out the alignment of the panels were wrong.