ERROR: Too many contacts returned by collision function

Discussion in 'Simulation' started by Frederik Ebert, Mar 5, 2018.

1. I'm getting an error message saying "ERROR: Too many contacts returned by collision function" when simulating a robot arm that pushes 4 simple objects.

When I reduce the number of objects to 1, I do not get this error.

I also noticed that this error depends on the number of degrees of freedom the arm has. When I reduce the DOF of the arm to 2, mujoco handles 4 objects without any problem.

Currently I'm using the following settings:
    <size njmax="2000" nconmax="500"/>
    <option timestep="0.005" gravity="0 0 -9.81" iterations="50" integrator="Euler" />
    by default I use
    <geom contype="1" conaffinity="1" condim="3" friction=".5 .1 .1" density="1000" margin="0.002" />

But I set the contype and conaffinity bitmasks individually for every object so as to minimize the number of potential contact pairs.

What could be the reason for this behavior?

Also sometimes when the arm gets into contact with objects I can sometimes see the object jumping, how can this be avoided?
    Thanks!

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

This is an internal error. It means that one of the collision functions returned more contacts than allowed. There was a bug in the box collisions which was fixed in version 1.50. Which version of the software are you using?

3. I was using mujoco 1.3.
    I will test this with version 1.5.