Comparison of DART, SimBody, and MuJoCo

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Jongwoo Lee, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Hello,

I have read the "benchmark" (http://www.mujoco.org/benchmark.html) and the paper attached. I wonder whether you have run or plan to run another similar benchmark test between DART, SimBody, and MuJoCo, because I'm deciding whether to use Gazebo or MuJoCo.

Among Gazebo's four physics engine, ODE, Bullet, SimBody, and DART, the benchmark above convinced me that for my purpose, MuJoCo is better than ODE and Bullet, but I could not find any clue on whether one of SimBody, DART, MuJoCo is better than the other.

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

At the time we did this work, Tom Erez tried to include DART in the comparison but it was difficult so he gave up. Overall, this kind of comparison requires a lot more software engineering than one would expect. So I don't have any plans to do it.

Jongwoo Lee likes this.
  3. Thank you for your very quick response. Could you tell me any personal opinion based on your experience, if I ask this question in email?

Regards,

4. Put it in another way, may I ask your opinion on the pros and cons of MuJoCo over DART and SimBody?

Thank you!

5. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

I haven't used DART or SimBody, and am clearly biased, but hopefully someone else can respond to this question.