Need help to include arbitrary shapenet meshes in simulation

Discussion in 'Priority support' started by Gaurav Pathak, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Hi Prof. Emo,

I am loading some random shapenet objects in mujoco. I am trying to grasp these objects by their rim. For this I am using a simple algorithm which commands the arm to go over to the object, close its gripper and then go towards the goal.

But sometime the object act very weird, please find below the attached video.

Do you have any tips as to how to avoid this, or how to deal with such objects in general.

P.S I have broken the object into its convex parts using vhacd and hence the object looks a bit weird.

Thanks,
    Gaurav Pathak

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

Actually that particular interaction can happen in the real world if there is slip. Anyway, in general you should visualize the decomposition and make sure it is what you want. Then adjust contact parameters if necessary.

It is also possible that the object has very small mass, and the forces you are applying are very large relative to that mass, so it moves rapidly. Have you checked the overall mass of the object? If it is too small, you can adjust the density of your geoms, or set the body mass directly with the <inertial> element.

How was your experience with V-HACD btw? Did it just work or did you have to tweak it?