Is there a function that returns the starting index of a body in the q vector given its name?

Discussion in 'Priority support' started by Pedro Morais, Jul 30, 2019.

1. It'd be very convenient to be able to index into qpos/qvel and sensordata using the name of a body/data (e.g. through a function that returns a pointer to the start of the relevant sub-array in e.g. qpos). I looked in the API reference and I couldn't find anything that does this, although I may have missed it. Is this something that is implemented, or do we have to implement this ourselves if we want it?

Thank you,
    Pedro
    DRL

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

bodyid = mj_name2id(model, mjOBJ_BODY, name) is the index of the body with a given name

jntid = model->body_jntadr[bodyid] is the index of the first joint for that body

model->jnt_qposadr[jntid] is the first position of that joint in the system qpos vector

for indexing into qvel and qfrc, you need the dof_XXX arrays in mjModel. the first velocity index in this example is given by body_dofadr[bodyid], which equals jnt_dofadr[jntid]

3. Thank you. Is there way of indexing into data->ctrl like this as well?

4. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

d->ctrl corresponds to actuators. Each actuator has a description in mjModel containing the transmission type and transmission id. The id is the index of a joint, tendon or site depending on the transmission type. So if you want to know which actuator is acting on a given joint, you have to scan the list of actuators.