limited freejoint

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by Ethan Brooks, Mar 26, 2018.

1. I would like to create a freejoint that is limited to a certain range in the xy-plane. From the documentation, it doesn't look like freejoint has the "limited" attribute. What is the best way to achieve this?

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

If you want to stay in the XY plane, you should define a ball joint and two slide joints in the X and Y axes, and put limits on the slide joints. It is better to define the ball joint after the slide joints.

Kyokushin likes this.
  3. The docs say, "in that case default settings intended for actuated joints may also affect the free joint (depending on how the defaults classes are specified), which is usually undesirable." What default settings should I watch out for?

4. Emo Todorov

All default joint settings that are active at a given point in the XML apply to every joint defined there, including joints of type "free". This is why I introduced a specialized mechanism to define a free joint without being affected by any defaults. See XML element <freejoint>.

Kyokushin likes this.
  5. I'm confused. I thought that your suggestion was to use a ball joint and two slide joints instead of the freejoint. Is there an attribute that I can add to the ball joint and slide joints to designate them as free?

6. Emo Todorov

If you want a 6DOF joint that does not inherit any default settings, use <freejoint>. If you want a joint constrained to the plane, you have to use a ball with two slide joints (which is 5DOF) and in that case the defaults will be inherited; there is no flag to ignore the defaults for such joints.

7. Is there a way of limiting a ball joint so it only rotates along an axis passing through it parallel to the X-axis?

8. Emo Todorov

No, but in this case you should be using a hinge joint anyway.

cyril likes this.
  9. I’ve tried using a hinge joint but it seems impossible to have the joint be ‘in’ the mesh even when playing around with position. Instead the mesh is displaced away from the joint and the object moves in a circular fashion around the joint rather than around its own axis